- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
Felix Hernandez has no $175M contract, no WBC plans
- Updated: February 9, 2013
Not only is Felix Hernandez without a contract despite reports to the contrary, the Marines’ ace will likely not play in the World Baseball Classic because of it.
The Mariners denied vehemently that an alleged seven-year, $175 million contract was agreed upon between the team and Hernandez, making it clear that no formal negotiations had taken place. According to ESPN.com, a potential 5-year, $135.5 million extension may be in the works.
The fact that no contract is on the table has forced the 26-year old to withdraw from the third annual WBC event, where he was slated to represent Venezuela as its No. 1 starter. Hernandez doesn’t want to cost himself potential millions by running the risk of getting hurt in an exhibition. He regrettably informed the team that he could not compete, despite being excited to start the first game against Venezuela.
Hernandez was 13-9 with a 3.06 ERA in 2012. The contract that was reported yet never was would have made his contract the richest in Major League Baseball history for a pitcher.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters - March 13, 2015