- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
Felix Hernandez has no $175M contract, no WBC plans
- Updated: February 9, 2013
Not only is Felix Hernandez without a contract despite reports to the contrary, the Marines’ ace will likely not play in the World Baseball Classic because of it.
The Mariners denied vehemently that an alleged seven-year, $175 million contract was agreed upon between the team and Hernandez, making it clear that no formal negotiations had taken place. According to ESPN.com, a potential 5-year, $135.5 million extension may be in the works.
The fact that no contract is on the table has forced the 26-year old to withdraw from the third annual WBC event, where he was slated to represent Venezuela as its No. 1 starter. Hernandez doesn’t want to cost himself potential millions by running the risk of getting hurt in an exhibition. He regrettably informed the team that he could not compete, despite being excited to start the first game against Venezuela.
Hernandez was 13-9 with a 3.06 ERA in 2012. The contract that was reported yet never was would have made his contract the richest in Major League Baseball history for a pitcher.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014