- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
Felix Hernandez has no $175M contract, no WBC plans
- Updated: February 9, 2013
Not only is Felix Hernandez without a contract despite reports to the contrary, the Marines’ ace will likely not play in the World Baseball Classic because of it.
The Mariners denied vehemently that an alleged seven-year, $175 million contract was agreed upon between the team and Hernandez, making it clear that no formal negotiations had taken place. According to ESPN.com, a potential 5-year, $135.5 million extension may be in the works.
The fact that no contract is on the table has forced the 26-year old to withdraw from the third annual WBC event, where he was slated to represent Venezuela as its No. 1 starter. Hernandez doesn’t want to cost himself potential millions by running the risk of getting hurt in an exhibition. He regrettably informed the team that he could not compete, despite being excited to start the first game against Venezuela.
Hernandez was 13-9 with a 3.06 ERA in 2012. The contract that was reported yet never was would have made his contract the richest in Major League Baseball history for a pitcher.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014