- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
- Blazers news: Wesley Matthews says he’ll enter 3-point contest if invited
- 49ers Anquan Boldin credits Michael Crabtree for big game vs. Seahawks
- USC football news: Trojans set to face Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl
- NFC West Week 14 roundup: Frank Gore rescues 49ers, Cardinals beat up Rams
- Kobe Bryant’s return: Lakers slow start leads to 106-94 loss vs. Raptors
- Lakers: Patience is key with Kobe Bryant
- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
World Baseball Classic 2013: Albert Pujols to skip tournament as precaution
- Updated: January 18, 2013
It appears that Albert Pujols will not be representing the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. Even though the final rosters are not due until Feb. 20. Pujols was not listed on the Dominican Republic provisional roster, even though there are five roster spots available.
Multiple sources have told MLB.com that Pujols will not participate. The biggest reason may be because of the offseason surgery.
It is believed that if Pujols was to play in the classic he would not be insured under Major League Baseball rules. For him to play in the classic un-insured would be a risk for him and the Angels’ organization. The WBC would most likely not insure Pujols due to their strict guidelines regarding players who have had offseason surgery.
The positive news is that Pujols will have a normal spring training. The Halos will breathe a sigh of relief knowing that their first baseman and rookie sensation Mike Trout are not going to be participating in the classic and will head into 2013 fully healthy.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles area-based sports journalist. Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- Clippers news: Pacers, Eastern Conference set to test LAC - November 30, 2013
- Should collisions at home plate be a thing of the past? - November 29, 2013
- LA Clippers news: J.J. Redick is the key ingredient - November 25, 2013