- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
World Baseball Classic 2013: Albert Pujols to skip tournament as precaution
- Updated: January 18, 2013
It appears that Albert Pujols will not be representing the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. Even though the final rosters are not due until Feb. 20. Pujols was not listed on the Dominican Republic provisional roster, even though there are five roster spots available.
Multiple sources have told MLB.com that Pujols will not participate. The biggest reason may be because of the offseason surgery.
It is believed that if Pujols was to play in the classic he would not be insured under Major League Baseball rules. For him to play in the classic un-insured would be a risk for him and the Angels’ organization. The WBC would most likely not insure Pujols due to their strict guidelines regarding players who have had offseason surgery.
The positive news is that Pujols will have a normal spring training. The Halos will breathe a sigh of relief knowing that their first baseman and rookie sensation Mike Trout are not going to be participating in the classic and will head into 2013 fully healthy.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles area-based sports journalist. Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- ALDS 2014: What went wrong in the Angels’ 0-3 debacle? - October 12, 2014
- Angels top-3 threats to derailing World Series aspirations - October 5, 2014
- Angels postseason: 5 keys for the Halos to win the ALDS - September 29, 2014