- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
Chargers tab Ken Whisenhunt to serve as offensive coordinator
- Updated: January 17, 2013
The announcement comes just days after the Bolts tabbed Mike McCoy replace the ousted Norv Turner after the team failed to make the playoffs for the third consecutive season in 2012. Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to two consecutive playoff appearances in 2008 and 2009, with an appearance in Super Bowl XLIII vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers coming in 2008.
From 2010-2012, however, Arizona failed to make the playoffs, with a low point coming in 2012 during a 5-11 season after the team started 4-0. Whisenhunt began his coaching career in the Baltimore Ravens’ organization before spending years with the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. In 2001, he was brought in by the Pittsburgh Steelers to coach the tight ends before working his way up to offensive coordinator. He was instrumental in the Steelers’ win over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.
Whisenhunt was relieved of his duties following last season along with Cardinals general manager Rod Graves.
San Diego finished 20th in the NFL in total offense, scoring 21.9 points per game in 2012. They finished 7-9 and fired both turner and general manager A.J. Smith following the season.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014