- San Diego State football news: Four-star recruit DeSean Holmes abandons program
- Pressure doesn’t break Chris Taylor-Yamanoha
- Video: Watch Marshawn Lynch sell Skittles on shopping network
- Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal show love for one another on podcast
- Fred Jackson visits with Seahawks, contract imminent, per report
- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency
- Leonard Williams avoids serious knee-injury
- Tyrell Williams – former NCAA Division II wideout – is bolting up in San Diego
- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
Chargers tab Ken Whisenhunt to serve as offensive coordinator
- Updated: January 17, 2013
The announcement comes just days after the Bolts tabbed Mike McCoy replace the ousted Norv Turner after the team failed to make the playoffs for the third consecutive season in 2012. Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to two consecutive playoff appearances in 2008 and 2009, with an appearance in Super Bowl XLIII vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers coming in 2008.
From 2010-2012, however, Arizona failed to make the playoffs, with a low point coming in 2012 during a 5-11 season after the team started 4-0. Whisenhunt began his coaching career in the Baltimore Ravens’ organization before spending years with the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. In 2001, he was brought in by the Pittsburgh Steelers to coach the tight ends before working his way up to offensive coordinator. He was instrumental in the Steelers’ win over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.
Whisenhunt was relieved of his duties following last season along with Cardinals general manager Rod Graves.
San Diego finished 20th in the NFL in total offense, scoring 21.9 points per game in 2012. They finished 7-9 and fired both turner and general manager A.J. Smith following the season.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Dodgers call up Corey Seager in wake of Justin Turner injury - September 3, 2015
- Philip Rivers says clash with Seahawks’ Frank Clark was ‘no big deal’ - September 1, 2015
- Video: Watch Marshawn Lynch sell Skittles on shopping network - September 1, 2015