- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Chargers tab Ken Whisenhunt to serve as offensive coordinator
- Updated: January 17, 2013
The announcement comes just days after the Bolts tabbed Mike McCoy replace the ousted Norv Turner after the team failed to make the playoffs for the third consecutive season in 2012. Whisenhunt led the Cardinals to two consecutive playoff appearances in 2008 and 2009, with an appearance in Super Bowl XLIII vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers coming in 2008.
From 2010-2012, however, Arizona failed to make the playoffs, with a low point coming in 2012 during a 5-11 season after the team started 4-0. Whisenhunt began his coaching career in the Baltimore Ravens’ organization before spending years with the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. In 2001, he was brought in by the Pittsburgh Steelers to coach the tight ends before working his way up to offensive coordinator. He was instrumental in the Steelers’ win over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.
Whisenhunt was relieved of his duties following last season along with Cardinals general manager Rod Graves.
San Diego finished 20th in the NFL in total offense, scoring 21.9 points per game in 2012. They finished 7-9 and fired both turner and general manager A.J. Smith following the season.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015