- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
Sacramento Kings to Seattle?: David Stern says no agreement filed
- Updated: January 17, 2013
NBA Commissioner David Stern has not seen any formal sales and purchase agreement filed to the league on behalf of Sacramento or Seattle, according to Ryan Lillis of the Sacramento Bee.
Before any potential sale of the Sacramento Kings to a Seattle-based group could take place, the involved parties would have to first get approval from the league. The fact that no such paperwork has been filed indicates that a deal may not be as imminent as some reports are indicating.
The Kings’ owners, Joe and Gavin Maloof are poised to sell the team amidst financial troubles stemming from debts owed to both the league and their own failed business ventures, the Palms hotel and casino in Las Vegas being the most notable. The city of Sacramento has restlessly tried to keep its only professional sports team in town as the Maloofs have continually toyed with the idea of selling the franchise.
The Maloofs became minority owners of the Kings in 1998 and majority owners the next season. Beginning in the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season, the Kings made eight straight playoff appearances, going as far as the Western Conference finals in 2001-02 before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in seven games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank - December 20, 2014
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014