- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Sacramento Kings to Seattle?: David Stern says no agreement filed
- Updated: January 17, 2013
NBA Commissioner David Stern has not seen any formal sales and purchase agreement filed to the league on behalf of Sacramento or Seattle, according to Ryan Lillis of the Sacramento Bee.
Before any potential sale of the Sacramento Kings to a Seattle-based group could take place, the involved parties would have to first get approval from the league. The fact that no such paperwork has been filed indicates that a deal may not be as imminent as some reports are indicating.
The Kings’ owners, Joe and Gavin Maloof are poised to sell the team amidst financial troubles stemming from debts owed to both the league and their own failed business ventures, the Palms hotel and casino in Las Vegas being the most notable. The city of Sacramento has restlessly tried to keep its only professional sports team in town as the Maloofs have continually toyed with the idea of selling the franchise.
The Maloofs became minority owners of the Kings in 1998 and majority owners the next season. Beginning in the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season, the Kings made eight straight playoff appearances, going as far as the Western Conference finals in 2001-02 before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in seven games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014