- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
Oakland A’s acquire John Jaso in three-team deal
- Updated: January 17, 2013
The Oakland Athletics have acquired catcher John Jaso from the Seattle Mariners in a three-team, five-player deal, MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports.
In the trade, the A’s parted with right-handed pitchers A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen and a player to be named later to the Washington Nationals. To complete the deal, the Nationals sent power-hitting outfielder Michael Morse to the Mariners. The Athletics also designated catcher George Kottaras for assignment to make room for Jason on the 40-man roster.
With this move, the Athletics now figure to give Jaso the majority of playing time behind the plate with Derek Norris serving as his backup. Jaso, 29, hit .276 with 10 home runs and 50 RBIs last season and filed for arbitration after making $495,200 in 2012.
To acquire their new catcher, the A’s gave up Cole, who is their third-best prospect in the farm system by Baseball America. Sent to Oakland in the Gio Gonzalez trade last offseason, he returns to the Nationals’ minor league system.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013