- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
San Diego Chargers hire Tom Telesco as GM.: 3 Reasons it’s a good fit
- Updated: January 16, 2013
The sun is shining brighter in San Diego as the San Diego Chargers have hired Tom Telesco as their new general manager. There is excitement surrounding the Bolts as the new regime of Telesco begins. He brings with him a wealth of knowledge and proven success from his days with the Colts organization.
There was great speculation surrounding who San Diego would choose, but it is believed they have made the right choice and let’s look at three reason’s why Telesco is a good fit.
1. He’s not A.J. Smith
A.J Smith was fired due to the lack of success the Chargers experienced over the past three years. This can be attributed to the fact that Smith allowed talented players leave such as Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren Sproles, Michael Turner, and Vincent Jackson without finding proper replacements.
2. Scouting background
Telesco began his NFL career with the Carolina Panthers in 1995 and became a full blown scout in 1997. In 1998, he left the Panthers to work for Bill Polian of the Colts to scout. During his time with the Colts, he was a scout, director of pro scouting, director of player personnel, and recently held the position of vice president of football operations. Telesco is credited as a big part of the success the Colts have experienced in the last decade. The scouting background he has will be a breath of fresh air for an organization in need of having a series of strong drafts.
3. Youthful and energetic
The 40-year-old Telesco is youthful-looking, but at the same time, knows his business. Telesco appears to be a transparent communicator and will certainly infuse the Charger community with poise and patience.
He has been the mentored by Bill Polian who was the architect of the great Buffalo Bills’ teams that reach four Super Bowls. He has spent the past 15 years with the Colts’ organization that has constantly been at the top of the AFC.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles area-based sports journalist. Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- Los Angeles Angels: 3 players who must break out in 2014 - April 20, 2014
- Josh Hamilton injury: 3 ways the Angels can overcome the loss of star OF - April 16, 2014
- Los Angeles Angels: 5 most troubling aspects of 2014 season - April 9, 2014