- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
MLB free agency 2013: Padres not pursuing RHP Shaun Marcum
- Updated: January 16, 2013
The San Diego Padres have no interest in acquiring free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum, who last played with the Milwaukee Brewers, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports.
Fox Sports reported that Friars were in line to make a move for the hurler, but the latest report disputes that information.
San Diego general manager Josh Byrnes indicated earlier in the offseason that the team was set with its current crop of starting pitchers and that any potential move would be an upgrade. Marcum was part of the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers team that lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in six games.
The 31-year-old pitched 124 innings in 2012, going 7-4 with a 3.70 ERA after a shoulder injury sidelined him for much of the season. From 2010-2011, he averaged 198 innings per season and notched a 3.59 ERA. He’s expected to command a salary somewhere in the range of $7-$9 million and could be a valuable asset as a mid-range starter.
Joe Saunders, a left-hander rumored to be on the Padres’ radar is also not in the team’s plans and has not been all winter long.
For more follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015