- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
MLB free agency 2013: Padres not pursuing RHP Shaun Marcum
- Updated: January 16, 2013
The San Diego Padres have no interest in acquiring free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum, who last played with the Milwaukee Brewers, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports.
Fox Sports reported that Friars were in line to make a move for the hurler, but the latest report disputes that information.
San Diego general manager Josh Byrnes indicated earlier in the offseason that the team was set with its current crop of starting pitchers and that any potential move would be an upgrade. Marcum was part of the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers team that lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in six games.
The 31-year-old pitched 124 innings in 2012, going 7-4 with a 3.70 ERA after a shoulder injury sidelined him for much of the season. From 2010-2011, he averaged 198 innings per season and notched a 3.59 ERA. He’s expected to command a salary somewhere in the range of $7-$9 million and could be a valuable asset as a mid-range starter.
Joe Saunders, a left-hander rumored to be on the Padres’ radar is also not in the team’s plans and has not been all winter long.
For more follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game - March 9, 2014
- VIDEO: Blake Griffin feeds DeAndre Jordan vs. Hawks - March 8, 2014
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014