- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
MLB free agency 2013: Padres not pursuing RHP Shaun Marcum
- Updated: January 16, 2013
The San Diego Padres have no interest in acquiring free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum, who last played with the Milwaukee Brewers, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports.
Fox Sports reported that Friars were in line to make a move for the hurler, but the latest report disputes that information.
San Diego general manager Josh Byrnes indicated earlier in the offseason that the team was set with its current crop of starting pitchers and that any potential move would be an upgrade. Marcum was part of the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers team that lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in six games.
The 31-year-old pitched 124 innings in 2012, going 7-4 with a 3.70 ERA after a shoulder injury sidelined him for much of the season. From 2010-2011, he averaged 198 innings per season and notched a 3.59 ERA. He’s expected to command a salary somewhere in the range of $7-$9 million and could be a valuable asset as a mid-range starter.
Joe Saunders, a left-hander rumored to be on the Padres’ radar is also not in the team’s plans and has not been all winter long.
For more follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters - March 13, 2015