- Los Angeles Angels news: Halos acquire Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago in three-team deal
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
- Blazers news: Wesley Matthews says he’ll enter 3-point contest if invited
- 49ers Anquan Boldin credits Michael Crabtree for big game vs. Seahawks
- USC football news: Trojans set to face Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl
- NFC West Week 14 roundup: Frank Gore rescues 49ers, Cardinals beat up Rams
- Kobe Bryant’s return: Lakers slow start leads to 106-94 loss vs. Raptors
- Lakers: Patience is key with Kobe Bryant
- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
L.A. Galaxy sign Robbie Keane to contract extension; get Juninho in permanent transfer
- Updated: January 16, 2013
The Los Angeles Galaxy announced Wednesday that they have re-signed 2012 club MVP Robbie Keane to a multi-year extension and picked up Juninho from on a permanent transfer. Both players played key roles in the team’s back-to-back MLS Cup runs.
Keane led the Galaxy with 16 goals in 2012 while finishing with 25 points overall. His work during the season’s stretch run helped the Galaxy recover from a 3-8-2 start. He also scored in each of the team’s last four games in the MLS playoffs.
Juninho’s return to Los Angeles was doubtful after posting his best season with the club in 2012. Instead, Sao Paolo chose to transfer him outright to the Galaxy. The signing is welcome news for the club after David Beckham’s recent departure. The team would have had to replace both starting central midfielders if Juninho was not allowed to remain in Los Angeles. Juninho posted a career-high seven goals and four assists in 2012.