- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Chargers hire Mike McCoy to replace Norv Turner as head coach
- Updated: January 15, 2013
After a lengthy head coaching search that included some of the biggest names in the NFL, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the San Diego Chargers have hired Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy to take over for the ousted Norv Turner.
According to the report, McCoy informed the Broncos on Monday that he was going to accept the job. The news comes just two days after the Broncos lost in gut-wrenching fashion to the Baltimore Ravens at home in the AFC Divisional playoffs.
Despite the disappointing end to the season, much of the Broncos’ success over the past two years can be attributed to McCoy, who managed to turn Tim Tebow in to a playoff-winning quarterback by designing a system suited to fit his game. He did the same for Peyton Manning in 2012, and the Denver looked like a threat to go deep into the postseason all year, finishing 13-3 and taking the NFC West division with relative ease.
The Chargers fired Turner after a 7-9 finish marked the third consecutive year the Bolts missed the playoffs. The move to bring in McCoy is yet another indication that they want to have an offensive mind at the helm. McCoy maximized the talents of Tebow, Manning and Kyle Orton over the course of his four seasons in the Mile High City, and the thinking has to be that he can do the same for Philip Rivers, who has already shown he is a quality quarterback despite recent struggles.
McCoy also drew interest from the Arizona Cardinals, Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014