- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Chargers hire Mike McCoy to replace Norv Turner as head coach
- Updated: January 15, 2013
After a lengthy head coaching search that included some of the biggest names in the NFL, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the San Diego Chargers have hired Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy to take over for the ousted Norv Turner.
According to the report, McCoy informed the Broncos on Monday that he was going to accept the job. The news comes just two days after the Broncos lost in gut-wrenching fashion to the Baltimore Ravens at home in the AFC Divisional playoffs.
Despite the disappointing end to the season, much of the Broncos’ success over the past two years can be attributed to McCoy, who managed to turn Tim Tebow in to a playoff-winning quarterback by designing a system suited to fit his game. He did the same for Peyton Manning in 2012, and the Denver looked like a threat to go deep into the postseason all year, finishing 13-3 and taking the NFC West division with relative ease.
The Chargers fired Turner after a 7-9 finish marked the third consecutive year the Bolts missed the playoffs. The move to bring in McCoy is yet another indication that they want to have an offensive mind at the helm. McCoy maximized the talents of Tebow, Manning and Kyle Orton over the course of his four seasons in the Mile High City, and the thinking has to be that he can do the same for Philip Rivers, who has already shown he is a quality quarterback despite recent struggles.
McCoy also drew interest from the Arizona Cardinals, Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game - March 9, 2014
- VIDEO: Blake Griffin feeds DeAndre Jordan vs. Hawks - March 8, 2014
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014