- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Chargers hire Mike McCoy to replace Norv Turner as head coach
- Updated: January 15, 2013
After a lengthy head coaching search that included some of the biggest names in the NFL, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the San Diego Chargers have hired Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy to take over for the ousted Norv Turner.
According to the report, McCoy informed the Broncos on Monday that he was going to accept the job. The news comes just two days after the Broncos lost in gut-wrenching fashion to the Baltimore Ravens at home in the AFC Divisional playoffs.
Despite the disappointing end to the season, much of the Broncos’ success over the past two years can be attributed to McCoy, who managed to turn Tim Tebow in to a playoff-winning quarterback by designing a system suited to fit his game. He did the same for Peyton Manning in 2012, and the Denver looked like a threat to go deep into the postseason all year, finishing 13-3 and taking the NFC West division with relative ease.
The Chargers fired Turner after a 7-9 finish marked the third consecutive year the Bolts missed the playoffs. The move to bring in McCoy is yet another indication that they want to have an offensive mind at the helm. McCoy maximized the talents of Tebow, Manning and Kyle Orton over the course of his four seasons in the Mile High City, and the thinking has to be that he can do the same for Philip Rivers, who has already shown he is a quality quarterback despite recent struggles.
McCoy also drew interest from the Arizona Cardinals, Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015