- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way
- Trail Blazers: ‘Rip City’ is a legitimate Western Conference threat
- Seahawks vs. 49ers preview: Seattle can clinch NFC West with season sweep of division rival
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning
- Why Brent Burns is the key to success in San Jose
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
- Los Angeles Clippers’ bench needs to step up in place of J.J. Redick
- Dodgers close to re-signing Brian Wilson
Padres rumors: San Diego interested in RHP Shaun Marcum
- Updated: January 15, 2013
The San Diego Padres are among several teams who have shown interest in acquiring former Milwaukee Brewers and current free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum.
In addition to the Friars, Fox Sports baseball writer Jon Morosi reports that the Texas Rangers and Pittsburgh Pirates are also taking a look at Marcum, who the Brewers acquired in 2010. The 31-year-old has a career 57-36 record and a 3.76 ERA in 916.2 innings pitched.
San Diego has plenty of depth in their starting rotation and would likely be looking to upgrade its starting rotation rather than add depth to the unit the Friars head to spring training.
Earlier this month, general manager Josh Byrnes told MLB.com that the Padres were likely satisfied with their current rotation and would more than likely look toward a higher-caliber player than simply adding an arm for the sake of doing so. Marcum started 21 games in 2012 and went 7-4 with a 3.70 ERA in 124 innings pitched.
Marcum was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the third round of the 2003 amateur draft.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors - December 6, 2013
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way - December 6, 2013
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets - December 3, 2013