- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Padres rumors: San Diego interested in RHP Shaun Marcum
- Updated: January 15, 2013
The San Diego Padres are among several teams who have shown interest in acquiring former Milwaukee Brewers and current free agent right-hander Shaun Marcum.
In addition to the Friars, Fox Sports baseball writer Jon Morosi reports that the Texas Rangers and Pittsburgh Pirates are also taking a look at Marcum, who the Brewers acquired in 2010. The 31-year-old has a career 57-36 record and a 3.76 ERA in 916.2 innings pitched.
San Diego has plenty of depth in their starting rotation and would likely be looking to upgrade its starting rotation rather than add depth to the unit the Friars head to spring training.
Earlier this month, general manager Josh Byrnes told MLB.com that the Padres were likely satisfied with their current rotation and would more than likely look toward a higher-caliber player than simply adding an arm for the sake of doing so. Marcum started 21 games in 2012 and went 7-4 with a 3.70 ERA in 124 innings pitched.
Marcum was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the third round of the 2003 amateur draft.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014