- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
World Baseball Classic 2013: Angels OF Mike Trout says he won’t play
- Updated: January 14, 2013
Los Angeles Angels outfielder and American League Rookie of the Year Mike Trout informed the tournament committee that he would not be playing in this year’s event, according to Halos’ beat writer Mike DiGiovanna.
Trout informed officials prior to being invited to join Team USA communicating through his agent, who cited the fact that his client was going to take advantage of his first major league offseason to prepare to build on his phenomenal rookie campaign.
Trout was sensational in 2012, batting .326 with 30 home runs, 27 doubles, 8 triples, 49 stolen bases and 129 runs scored en route to finishing second in the AL MVP voting to Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers.
Despite the Angels finishing in disappointing fashion and missing the playoffs, Trout was instrumental in a resurgence that saw the Halos have a shot at making the postseason before falling just games short in the end.
Spring training for the 2013 season begins on Saturday, Feb. 23 for the Angels when they will take on the Chicago Cubs at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014