- Lakers news: Steve Blake to miss at least six weeks with elbow injury
- Stale Sacramento Kings fail versus Utah Jazz 122-101
- Mark Trumbo trade: Did Jerry Dipoto make the right move?
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A.
- Sacramento Kings trade exports won’t be simple to replace
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant’s improvement encouraging
- Kobe Bryant improves, but Lakers fall 114-108 to Suns
- Chargers vs. Broncos preview: Philip Rivers needs big day for Bolts upset
- Los Angeles Angels news: Halos acquire Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago in three-team deal
World Baseball Classic 2013: Angels OF Mike Trout says he won’t play
- Updated: January 14, 2013
Los Angeles Angels outfielder and American League Rookie of the Year Mike Trout informed the tournament committee that he would not be playing in this year’s event, according to Halos’ beat writer Mike DiGiovanna.
Trout informed officials prior to being invited to join Team USA communicating through his agent, who cited the fact that his client was going to take advantage of his first major league offseason to prepare to build on his phenomenal rookie campaign.
Trout was sensational in 2012, batting .326 with 30 home runs, 27 doubles, 8 triples, 49 stolen bases and 129 runs scored en route to finishing second in the AL MVP voting to Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers.
Despite the Angels finishing in disappointing fashion and missing the playoffs, Trout was instrumental in a resurgence that saw the Halos have a shot at making the postseason before falling just games short in the end.
Spring training for the 2013 season begins on Saturday, Feb. 23 for the Angels when they will take on the Chicago Cubs at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates - December 11, 2013
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A. - December 11, 2013
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others - December 9, 2013