- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
World Baseball Classic 2013: Angels OF Mike Trout says he won’t play
- Updated: January 14, 2013
Los Angeles Angels outfielder and American League Rookie of the Year Mike Trout informed the tournament committee that he would not be playing in this year’s event, according to Halos’ beat writer Mike DiGiovanna.
Trout informed officials prior to being invited to join Team USA communicating through his agent, who cited the fact that his client was going to take advantage of his first major league offseason to prepare to build on his phenomenal rookie campaign.
Trout was sensational in 2012, batting .326 with 30 home runs, 27 doubles, 8 triples, 49 stolen bases and 129 runs scored en route to finishing second in the AL MVP voting to Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers.
Despite the Angels finishing in disappointing fashion and missing the playoffs, Trout was instrumental in a resurgence that saw the Halos have a shot at making the postseason before falling just games short in the end.
Spring training for the 2013 season begins on Saturday, Feb. 23 for the Angels when they will take on the Chicago Cubs at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015