- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
49ers vs. Packers: San Francisco OC Greg Roman’s stock rising
- Updated: January 12, 2013
After the San Francisco 49ers defeated the Green Bay Packers 44-31 on Saturday, offensive coordinator Greg Roman may be spending his last season on the sidelines.
The Niners were unstoppable in 60 minutes on the offensive side of the ball, thanks in part to Roman’s creative play calling and the dynamic, record-setting game by quarterback Colin Kaepernick. San Francisco netted 579 yards against Green Bay and Kaepernick had what was by far his best game as a professional in his playoff debut. He totaled 263 yards on 17-of-31 completed passes for two touchdowns and an interception. He was even more impressive on the ground, rushing for a quarterback record 181 yards and two touchdowns.
The second-year signal caller got all of the attention, but it was Roman who was pulling the strings, and NFL teams with head coaching vacancies are undoubtedly taking notice. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears appear to be potential landing spots for Roman, who has been at the center of the 49ers’ turnaround and development of both Alex Smith and Kaepernick.
Smith had his best season under Roman a year ago, and Kaepernick has emerged as an exciting playmaker.
Before joining Jim Harbaugh‘s staff in 2011, Roman was with the Carolina Panthers and has coached in the Houston Texans and Baltimore Ravens organizations.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015