- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
49ers vs. Packers: San Francisco OC Greg Roman’s stock rising
- Updated: January 12, 2013
After the San Francisco 49ers defeated the Green Bay Packers 44-31 on Saturday, offensive coordinator Greg Roman may be spending his last season on the sidelines.
The Niners were unstoppable in 60 minutes on the offensive side of the ball, thanks in part to Roman’s creative play calling and the dynamic, record-setting game by quarterback Colin Kaepernick. San Francisco netted 579 yards against Green Bay and Kaepernick had what was by far his best game as a professional in his playoff debut. He totaled 263 yards on 17-of-31 completed passes for two touchdowns and an interception. He was even more impressive on the ground, rushing for a quarterback record 181 yards and two touchdowns.
The second-year signal caller got all of the attention, but it was Roman who was pulling the strings, and NFL teams with head coaching vacancies are undoubtedly taking notice. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears appear to be potential landing spots for Roman, who has been at the center of the 49ers’ turnaround and development of both Alex Smith and Kaepernick.
Smith had his best season under Roman a year ago, and Kaepernick has emerged as an exciting playmaker.
Before joining Jim Harbaugh‘s staff in 2011, Roman was with the Carolina Panthers and has coached in the Houston Texans and Baltimore Ravens organizations.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014