- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
Tiger Woods set to begin 2013 PGA TOUR season at Torrey Pines
- Updated: January 11, 2013
Former world No. 1 and Tiger Woods will begin his 2013 PGA TOUR season in the familiar confines of Torrey Pines at the Farmers Insurance Open, according to his official website.
The event, which is slated to take place Jan. 24-27, has been a staple in his schedule over the course of his career and a venue where he has thrived as both an amateur and a professional.
He has won the Farmer’s six times when the event was held on both the North and South courses of the historic San Diego-area facility. His most notable tournament there, however, came in 2008 when he won the U.S. Open on what was later discovered to be a fractured leg and torn anterior cruciate ligament in one of the gutsiest performances in sports history.
Woods, a Southern California native, is extremely comfortable and familiar with the confines of the public course located on the coastal cliffs of La Jolla, Calif. He grew up less than an hour and a half away up I-5 in nearby Cypress and learned how to win there from an early age.
“Obviously, I’ve had good success at Torrey Pines,” Woods said. “I practically grew up playing the South and North Courses. The fans have always been supportive, and I look forward to returning.”
Woods won six Junior World Championships at Torrey Pines between 1984 and 1991. In a surprising move, he missed the event in 2012, instead opting to play in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, which conflicted with the event at the time.
This year he will play in both events, with the HSBC event scheduled to take place Jan. 17-20.
Follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014