- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Tiger Woods set to begin 2013 PGA TOUR season at Torrey Pines
- Updated: January 11, 2013
Former world No. 1 and Tiger Woods will begin his 2013 PGA TOUR season in the familiar confines of Torrey Pines at the Farmers Insurance Open, according to his official website.
The event, which is slated to take place Jan. 24-27, has been a staple in his schedule over the course of his career and a venue where he has thrived as both an amateur and a professional.
He has won the Farmer’s six times when the event was held on both the North and South courses of the historic San Diego-area facility. His most notable tournament there, however, came in 2008 when he won the U.S. Open on what was later discovered to be a fractured leg and torn anterior cruciate ligament in one of the gutsiest performances in sports history.
Woods, a Southern California native, is extremely comfortable and familiar with the confines of the public course located on the coastal cliffs of La Jolla, Calif. He grew up less than an hour and a half away up I-5 in nearby Cypress and learned how to win there from an early age.
“Obviously, I’ve had good success at Torrey Pines,” Woods said. “I practically grew up playing the South and North Courses. The fans have always been supportive, and I look forward to returning.”
Woods won six Junior World Championships at Torrey Pines between 1984 and 1991. In a surprising move, he missed the event in 2012, instead opting to play in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, which conflicted with the event at the time.
This year he will play in both events, with the HSBC event scheduled to take place Jan. 17-20.
Follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015