- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
- Marcus Mariota and the way-too-early Heisman watch
- Chargers news: Donald Brown ready to lead Bolts’ backfield
Tiger Woods set to begin 2013 PGA TOUR season at Torrey Pines
- Updated: January 11, 2013
Former world No. 1 and Tiger Woods will begin his 2013 PGA TOUR season in the familiar confines of Torrey Pines at the Farmers Insurance Open, according to his official website.
The event, which is slated to take place Jan. 24-27, has been a staple in his schedule over the course of his career and a venue where he has thrived as both an amateur and a professional.
He has won the Farmer’s six times when the event was held on both the North and South courses of the historic San Diego-area facility. His most notable tournament there, however, came in 2008 when he won the U.S. Open on what was later discovered to be a fractured leg and torn anterior cruciate ligament in one of the gutsiest performances in sports history.
Woods, a Southern California native, is extremely comfortable and familiar with the confines of the public course located on the coastal cliffs of La Jolla, Calif. He grew up less than an hour and a half away up I-5 in nearby Cypress and learned how to win there from an early age.
“Obviously, I’ve had good success at Torrey Pines,” Woods said. “I practically grew up playing the South and North Courses. The fans have always been supportive, and I look forward to returning.”
Woods won six Junior World Championships at Torrey Pines between 1984 and 1991. In a surprising move, he missed the event in 2012, instead opting to play in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, which conflicted with the event at the time.
This year he will play in both events, with the HSBC event scheduled to take place Jan. 17-20.
Follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014
- Bud Black on Padres long-term success: ‘It’s more personal’ - September 23, 2014
- 49ers, Cardinals fans brawl in Glendale: How San Francisco lost twice - September 23, 2014