- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Justin Smith injury update: 49ers’ DE will likely play vs. Packers
- Updated: January 11, 2013
San Francisco 49ers defensive end Justin Smith will likely play in the NFC Divisional playoff game on Saturday vs. the Green Bay Packers after head coach Jim Harbaugh listed all of his players as probable on the final injury report.
The veteran suffered a torn triceps in a Dec. 16 41-34 win vs. the New England Patriots. He tried to play through the injury, but was forced out of the game before the Niners hung on in a hostile environment. The 49ers are 1-1 in the two games Smith has missed, and his absence has been apparent in each of those contests.
Linebacker Aldon Smith has suffered the most with Smith’s missed time and has not recorded a sack since after totaling 19.5 sacks with Justin Smith creating seams to the quarterback. Without the veteran, the Niners have looked like an average defensive team and struggled to get off the field and rush the passer.
Smith will be key in disrupting the rhythm of Aaron Rogers, who has led the Packers back to the playoffs behind another stellar season. Though the probable tag doesn’t ensure he’ll play, it’s hard to envision any scenario at this point where he sits out against the Packers.
Whether or not he’ll be effective or not remains to be seen. Without question, he’ll be at risk for further injury if he plays, but his presence inside has been a difference maker for San Francisco all season long.
Follow @SportsWestCoast on Twitter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015