- Dodgers and J.P. Howell come to terms
- Road trips all business for Sacramento Kings
- MLB news: A’s eye $500M waterfront ballpark
- Chargers’ playoff chances take a major hit in Week 15
- NFC West Week 15 Roundup: Seahawks’ defense shines, 49ers stay hot
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant is steadily improving
- Pau Gasol rumors: Phil Jackson shares thoughts on Lakers F-C’s struggles via Twitter
- Colin Kaepernick’s ‘Beats by Dre’ commercial angers Seahawks fans
- Stephen Curry captures magic of Warriors’ Oracle Arena
- 49ers Week 15 primer: Can San Francisco carry their momentum to Tampa Bay?
2013 MLB Hall of Fame: Padres legend Fred McGriff forgotten amidst controversy
- Updated: January 9, 2013
The San Diego Padres’ best hope for a Hall of Fame inductee to grace the fence at Petco Park fell by the wayside following the news that no one from the 2013 MLB Hall of Fame ballot was voted into this year’s class — including former Friars All-Star Fred McGriff.
It was the first time since 1996 that not a single player on the ballot gained entry. The Baseball Writers of America took a stand against an era of controversy, where potential inductees Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens were all shut out from the Hall of Fame doors after each was linked to performance enhancing drugs.
McGriff was never one such player, but managed to appear on just 20.7 percent of the ballots in his fourth year of eligibility despite a consistent and stellar career. His best years came with the Padres and Atlanta Braves, where he was a five-time All-Star and three-time Silver Slugger award winner. He had seven consecutive seasons of 30 or more home runs from 1988-94, and did things the right way.
But he was overshadowed on Wednesday, and he’ll likely stay in the shadows as the BBWA waiver on whether or not alleged steroid users deserve the prestigious honor or not.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- MLB news: A’s eye $500M waterfront ballpark - December 16, 2013
- Chargers’ playoff chances take a major hit in Week 15 - December 16, 2013
- Pau Gasol rumors: Phil Jackson shares thoughts on Lakers F-C’s struggles via Twitter - December 14, 2013