- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
2013 MLB Hall of Fame: Padres legend Fred McGriff forgotten amidst controversy
- Updated: January 9, 2013
The San Diego Padres’ best hope for a Hall of Fame inductee to grace the fence at Petco Park fell by the wayside following the news that no one from the 2013 MLB Hall of Fame ballot was voted into this year’s class — including former Friars All-Star Fred McGriff.
It was the first time since 1996 that not a single player on the ballot gained entry. The Baseball Writers of America took a stand against an era of controversy, where potential inductees Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens were all shut out from the Hall of Fame doors after each was linked to performance enhancing drugs.
McGriff was never one such player, but managed to appear on just 20.7 percent of the ballots in his fourth year of eligibility despite a consistent and stellar career. His best years came with the Padres and Atlanta Braves, where he was a five-time All-Star and three-time Silver Slugger award winner. He had seven consecutive seasons of 30 or more home runs from 1988-94, and did things the right way.
But he was overshadowed on Wednesday, and he’ll likely stay in the shadows as the BBWA waiver on whether or not alleged steroid users deserve the prestigious honor or not.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015