- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
2013 MLB Hall of Fame: Padres legend Fred McGriff forgotten amidst controversy
- Updated: January 9, 2013
The San Diego Padres’ best hope for a Hall of Fame inductee to grace the fence at Petco Park fell by the wayside following the news that no one from the 2013 MLB Hall of Fame ballot was voted into this year’s class — including former Friars All-Star Fred McGriff.
It was the first time since 1996 that not a single player on the ballot gained entry. The Baseball Writers of America took a stand against an era of controversy, where potential inductees Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens were all shut out from the Hall of Fame doors after each was linked to performance enhancing drugs.
McGriff was never one such player, but managed to appear on just 20.7 percent of the ballots in his fourth year of eligibility despite a consistent and stellar career. His best years came with the Padres and Atlanta Braves, where he was a five-time All-Star and three-time Silver Slugger award winner. He had seven consecutive seasons of 30 or more home runs from 1988-94, and did things the right way.
But he was overshadowed on Wednesday, and he’ll likely stay in the shadows as the BBWA waiver on whether or not alleged steroid users deserve the prestigious honor or not.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014