- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
2013 MLB Hall of Fame: Padres legend Fred McGriff forgotten amidst controversy
- Updated: January 9, 2013
The San Diego Padres’ best hope for a Hall of Fame inductee to grace the fence at Petco Park fell by the wayside following the news that no one from the 2013 MLB Hall of Fame ballot was voted into this year’s class — including former Friars All-Star Fred McGriff.
It was the first time since 1996 that not a single player on the ballot gained entry. The Baseball Writers of America took a stand against an era of controversy, where potential inductees Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens were all shut out from the Hall of Fame doors after each was linked to performance enhancing drugs.
McGriff was never one such player, but managed to appear on just 20.7 percent of the ballots in his fourth year of eligibility despite a consistent and stellar career. His best years came with the Padres and Atlanta Braves, where he was a five-time All-Star and three-time Silver Slugger award winner. He had seven consecutive seasons of 30 or more home runs from 1988-94, and did things the right way.
But he was overshadowed on Wednesday, and he’ll likely stay in the shadows as the BBWA waiver on whether or not alleged steroid users deserve the prestigious honor or not.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015