- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
Chargers’ RB Ryan Mathews wearing out welcome in San Diego
- Updated: January 8, 2013
The San Diego Chargers are growing increasingly impatient with the turbulent history surrounding running back Ryan Mathews, according to Chargers’ beat writer Michael Gehlken of the U-T San Diego.
Mathews broke both clavicles in 2012 and has had two surgeries over the course of one NFL season. The knock on him coming out of Fresno State was that he was injury prone, and several missed games and seasons later, it appears those assessments were correct.
But Mathews is prepared to fight for his job and will work to get back in the good graces of whatever coaching staff comes aboard in the wake of head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith’s firing following a disappointing season. They were the ones responsible for moving up 16 spots in the draft to pick him, and the man who was tabbed to be the heir apparent to legend LaDainian Tomlinson understands the stakes.
“It’s time for me to show them why they bumped up all the spots they did to draft me,” the former No. 12 overall pick said. “I’ve shown greatness at times, and I’ve shown I can be the worst player at times. You’ve got to be consistent, and that’s what I plan to do, Just be a little more consistent player and just be the guy they knew when they drafted.”
As he prepares for his fourth season, none of which have included a full 16 games, Mathews has a lot to prove to everyone who thought he could handle a full workload out of the backfield.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014