- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Lakers cut ties with Darius Johnson-Odom
- Updated: January 8, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers have waived rookie guard Darius Johnson-Odom, according to a team press release.
D.J.O., as he was commonly known amongst his Lakers teammates and fans, appeared in four games for Los Angeles and totaled four rebounds and one assist in six minutes of game action. He was the 55th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and was acquired from the Dallas Mavericks on a draft night transaction.
A 6-foot-2 guard out of Marquette, Johnson-Odom came to Los Angeles with high hopes of cracking the Lakers’ guard-heavy rotation. While starring for the Golden Eagles, he averaged 15.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 105 NCAA games. During his senior year, he led the team in scoring with 18.3 points per game and was named First Team All-Big East and was an honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press.
He also became known for his athletic ability while in college and was thought to be able to bring some much-needed speed and athleticism to an aging Lakers’ roster. The Lakers have routinely been beaten in transition by younger, faster teams.
Also contributing to the expendability of Johnson-Odom is the emergence of Darius Morris, who has earned more playing time in the absence of Steve Blake by finding a niche role as a defensive specialist.
With all that said, it’s too bad this couldn’t translate to the NBA level:
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014