- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
Lakers cut ties with Darius Johnson-Odom
- Updated: January 8, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers have waived rookie guard Darius Johnson-Odom, according to a team press release.
D.J.O., as he was commonly known amongst his Lakers teammates and fans, appeared in four games for Los Angeles and totaled four rebounds and one assist in six minutes of game action. He was the 55th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and was acquired from the Dallas Mavericks on a draft night transaction.
A 6-foot-2 guard out of Marquette, Johnson-Odom came to Los Angeles with high hopes of cracking the Lakers’ guard-heavy rotation. While starring for the Golden Eagles, he averaged 15.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 105 NCAA games. During his senior year, he led the team in scoring with 18.3 points per game and was named First Team All-Big East and was an honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press.
He also became known for his athletic ability while in college and was thought to be able to bring some much-needed speed and athleticism to an aging Lakers’ roster. The Lakers have routinely been beaten in transition by younger, faster teams.
Also contributing to the expendability of Johnson-Odom is the emergence of Darius Morris, who has earned more playing time in the absence of Steve Blake by finding a niche role as a defensive specialist.
With all that said, it’s too bad this couldn’t translate to the NBA level:
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency - June 29, 2015
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes - June 15, 2015
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons - June 15, 2015