- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Lakers cut ties with Darius Johnson-Odom
- Updated: January 8, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers have waived rookie guard Darius Johnson-Odom, according to a team press release.
D.J.O., as he was commonly known amongst his Lakers teammates and fans, appeared in four games for Los Angeles and totaled four rebounds and one assist in six minutes of game action. He was the 55th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and was acquired from the Dallas Mavericks on a draft night transaction.
A 6-foot-2 guard out of Marquette, Johnson-Odom came to Los Angeles with high hopes of cracking the Lakers’ guard-heavy rotation. While starring for the Golden Eagles, he averaged 15.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 105 NCAA games. During his senior year, he led the team in scoring with 18.3 points per game and was named First Team All-Big East and was an honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press.
He also became known for his athletic ability while in college and was thought to be able to bring some much-needed speed and athleticism to an aging Lakers’ roster. The Lakers have routinely been beaten in transition by younger, faster teams.
Also contributing to the expendability of Johnson-Odom is the emergence of Darius Morris, who has earned more playing time in the absence of Steve Blake by finding a niche role as a defensive specialist.
With all that said, it’s too bad this couldn’t translate to the NBA level:
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014