- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
- 5 NBA Summer League players who could earn rotation spots
MLB trade rumors: Padres, D-backs had recent talks involving Justin Upton
- Updated: January 5, 2013
The San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks have had recent discussions involving a potential trade including third baseman Chase Headley and outfielder Justin Upton, but the talks have since slowed down considerably, according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.
Upton has been at the center of rumors across Major League Baseball, with the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners and Atlanta Braves all being potential destinations for the 25-year-old slugger
In order for a trade to San Diego to work, any deal for Upton would have to involve Headley, who is projected to make roughly $8 million after arbitration. If the Friars don’t trade him, they’ll likely sign him to an extension before he hits the free agent market following the 2014 season.
Headley had an MVP-caliber year in 2012, finishing fourth in the voting. He hit for an average of .286 with an .875 OPS. His 31 home runs were a testament to his power given the fact that he played half his games in the spacious confines of Petco Park, known for being a pitcher-friendly ballpark.
Upton is an attractive target for the Padres, who have lacked a power-hitting outfielder in recent years. He’s also younger than the 28-year-old Headley and has tremendous upside with the fences at Petco Park set to be moved in for 2013.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1 - July 17, 2014