- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
MLB trade rumors: Padres, D-backs had recent talks involving Justin Upton
- Updated: January 5, 2013
The San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks have had recent discussions involving a potential trade including third baseman Chase Headley and outfielder Justin Upton, but the talks have since slowed down considerably, according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.
Upton has been at the center of rumors across Major League Baseball, with the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners and Atlanta Braves all being potential destinations for the 25-year-old slugger
In order for a trade to San Diego to work, any deal for Upton would have to involve Headley, who is projected to make roughly $8 million after arbitration. If the Friars don’t trade him, they’ll likely sign him to an extension before he hits the free agent market following the 2014 season.
Headley had an MVP-caliber year in 2012, finishing fourth in the voting. He hit for an average of .286 with an .875 OPS. His 31 home runs were a testament to his power given the fact that he played half his games in the spacious confines of Petco Park, known for being a pitcher-friendly ballpark.
Upton is an attractive target for the Padres, who have lacked a power-hitting outfielder in recent years. He’s also younger than the 28-year-old Headley and has tremendous upside with the fences at Petco Park set to be moved in for 2013.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015