- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
MLB offseason 2013: Padres eye upgrades, not depth in starting rotation
- Updated: January 3, 2013
The San Diego Padres have watched the Los Angeles Dodgers sign everything moving and the San Francisco Giants have terrific success with the right mix of personnel. Despite all that, it appears that San Diego is confident that their pitching rotation can compete with the best in the NL West as constructed.
According to Padres MLB.com reporter Corey Brock, the Padres are satisfied with their current crop of young starting pitchers and likely won’t add another before the start of spring training. If they were to make a move, it would be to shore up the rotation with an upgrade rather than simply adding another arm.
“It would probably be more of [getting] an upgrade than just adding depth,” general manager Josh Byrnes said. “We feel we have seven or eight guys who could start a game in April. I think we’re covered.”
Clayton Richard, Edinson Volquez , Anthony Bass, Tyson Ross, Eric Stults, Casey Kelly and Robby Erlin are all potential starters heading into spring training in 2013. The Friars signed veteran Jason Marquis in December to add to that mix of players in what figures to be an open competition.
Padres starters struggled in 2012, posting an ERA of 4.44, which was 13th in the National League. They managed to strike out just 681 batters, besting only the Colorado Rockies in that category.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014