- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
- DeMarcus Cousins suspension: When will the Kings’ star start to behave?
MLB offseason 2013: Padres eye upgrades, not depth in starting rotation
- Updated: January 3, 2013
The San Diego Padres have watched the Los Angeles Dodgers sign everything moving and the San Francisco Giants have terrific success with the right mix of personnel. Despite all that, it appears that San Diego is confident that their pitching rotation can compete with the best in the NL West as constructed.
According to Padres MLB.com reporter Corey Brock, the Padres are satisfied with their current crop of young starting pitchers and likely won’t add another before the start of spring training. If they were to make a move, it would be to shore up the rotation with an upgrade rather than simply adding another arm.
“It would probably be more of [getting] an upgrade than just adding depth,” general manager Josh Byrnes said. “We feel we have seven or eight guys who could start a game in April. I think we’re covered.”
Clayton Richard, Edinson Volquez , Anthony Bass, Tyson Ross, Eric Stults, Casey Kelly and Robby Erlin are all potential starters heading into spring training in 2013. The Friars signed veteran Jason Marquis in December to add to that mix of players in what figures to be an open competition.
Padres starters struggled in 2012, posting an ERA of 4.44, which was 13th in the National League. They managed to strike out just 681 batters, besting only the Colorado Rockies in that category.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig do battle in Spring Training - March 7, 2014
- Honda Classic 2014: Tiger Woods withdraws due to back injury - March 2, 2014
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness - February 28, 2014