- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
- Dodgers close to re-signing Brian Wilson
- Sacramento Kings show resilience in 97-95 loss to Oklahoma City Thunder
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash return to practice
- Jordan Farmar injury: Lakers G out 4 weeks with hamstring tear
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets
- Vernon Davis on groin tackle: ‘The most painful thing ever’
- NFC West Week 13 Roundup: Seahawks Clinch a playoff spot, 49ers stay in contention
- Steve Sarkisian accepts USC head coaching position
MLB offseason 2013: Padres eye upgrades, not depth in starting rotation
- Updated: January 3, 2013
The San Diego Padres have watched the Los Angeles Dodgers sign everything moving and the San Francisco Giants have terrific success with the right mix of personnel. Despite all that, it appears that San Diego is confident that their pitching rotation can compete with the best in the NL West as constructed.
According to Padres MLB.com reporter Corey Brock, the Padres are satisfied with their current crop of young starting pitchers and likely won’t add another before the start of spring training. If they were to make a move, it would be to shore up the rotation with an upgrade rather than simply adding another arm.
“It would probably be more of [getting] an upgrade than just adding depth,” general manager Josh Byrnes said. “We feel we have seven or eight guys who could start a game in April. I think we’re covered.”
Clayton Richard, Edinson Volquez , Anthony Bass, Tyson Ross, Eric Stults, Casey Kelly and Robby Erlin are all potential starters heading into spring training in 2013. The Friars signed veteran Jason Marquis in December to add to that mix of players in what figures to be an open competition.
Padres starters struggled in 2012, posting an ERA of 4.44, which was 13th in the National League. They managed to strike out just 681 batters, besting only the Colorado Rockies in that category.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets - December 3, 2013
- Bengals vs. Chargers: Ex-Cal WRs Marvin Jones, Keenan Allen keeping up with each other - December 2, 2013
- Bengals vs. Chargers: Ladarius Green underutilized in Bolts’ loss - December 1, 2013