- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
MLB offseason 2013: Padres eye upgrades, not depth in starting rotation
- Updated: January 3, 2013
The San Diego Padres have watched the Los Angeles Dodgers sign everything moving and the San Francisco Giants have terrific success with the right mix of personnel. Despite all that, it appears that San Diego is confident that their pitching rotation can compete with the best in the NL West as constructed.
According to Padres MLB.com reporter Corey Brock, the Padres are satisfied with their current crop of young starting pitchers and likely won’t add another before the start of spring training. If they were to make a move, it would be to shore up the rotation with an upgrade rather than simply adding another arm.
“It would probably be more of [getting] an upgrade than just adding depth,” general manager Josh Byrnes said. “We feel we have seven or eight guys who could start a game in April. I think we’re covered.”
Clayton Richard, Edinson Volquez , Anthony Bass, Tyson Ross, Eric Stults, Casey Kelly and Robby Erlin are all potential starters heading into spring training in 2013. The Friars signed veteran Jason Marquis in December to add to that mix of players in what figures to be an open competition.
Padres starters struggled in 2012, posting an ERA of 4.44, which was 13th in the National League. They managed to strike out just 681 batters, besting only the Colorado Rockies in that category.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion - August 2, 2014