- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
Los Angeles Angels 2012 season in review: Top 5 moments
- Updated: December 27, 2012
The Angels organization had high expectations going into 2012. They started spring training with the goal of winning the american league west, the playoffs, and a trip to the world series. The season started out on a weak note with a record of 8-15 through the first month of the season. As the season progressed the Angels improved their record but they fell short of their goals by missing the playoffs. Let’s review the top five moments for the Angels in 2012.
5. Trade for Zack Greinke
The Angels went all in for the playoff run by shipping three top prospects to the Milwaukee Brewers for Zack Greinke. Greinke went 6-2 with a 3.53 earned run average for the Angels but he certainly was not the addition to push them over the top to win the west and make the playoffs.
4. Four Angels make the American League All Star team
Mark Trumbo, Mike Trout, Jered Weaver, and CJ Wilson make the all star team. All four of these players had incredible first half of the season. Trumbo and Trout were locked in offensively batting .306 with 22 home runs and .341 with 12 home runs respectively. Weaver was pitching like an ace with a 10-1 record with a 1.96 earned run average and Wilson was 9-5 with a 2,43 earned run average.
3. Jered Weaver no hitter
On May 2nd, Jered Weaver throws a no hitter against the Minnesota Twins at Angel Stadium. Weaver had come close in prior performances with one and two hitters but he finally climbed the mountain top on this magical evening with Torii Hunter making a great play on the final out in right field.
2. Josh Hamilton signing
The Angels surprise all of baseball by signing Josh Hamilton on December 13th. They allowed right fielder Torii Hunter to leave due to free agency but it appears they had a replacement in mind. After the moves they had made to solidify their starting rotation and bullpen, it was believed that the Angels would not make another move except for making a trade for another starting pitcher but instead they invested their future in Hamilton. Going into 2013, the Angels may have the best outfield in the majors.
1. Mike Trout
Mike Trout was called up to the big leagues on April 28th. He instantly made an impact in the field and in the batters box. Trout played gold glove caliber center field with multiple catches that robbed batters of home runs. At the plate, Trout was slotted in the lead-off spot and he would not relinquish that spot in the order with hitting .326 average, 30 home runs, 83 runs batted in and 49 stolen bases. He was voted the American League Rookie of the Year for 2012 and was in the running against Miguel Cabrera for the most valuable player award.
The Angels certainly did not live up to their expectations going into 2012 by not even making the playoffs. But with the additions they have made this winter, it is World Series or bust. With Trout, Hamilton, and Pujols; the Angels will be a force to be reckoned with in 2013. What will be the top moments for the Angels in 2013?
Robert W. Ekberg is a Writer for Sports Out West and a Los Angeles Area-based sports journalist.
Follow him on Twitter @Robke24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- ALDS 2014: What went wrong in the Angels’ 0-3 debacle? - October 12, 2014
- Angels top-3 threats to derailing World Series aspirations - October 5, 2014
- Angels postseason: 5 keys for the Halos to win the ALDS - September 29, 2014