- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
Angels trade Kendrys Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas
- Updated: December 20, 2012
The Angels traded Kendrys Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas. The signing of Josh Hamilton last week by the Angels made Kendrys Morales expendable. Morales had a productive 2012 season for the Angels by hitting .273 with 22 home runs and 73 runs batted in. He should continue that kind of productivity for the Mariners and could possibly have better numbers this coming season.
Jason Vargas will be a welcome addition to the Angels starting rotation. It is sort of a homecoming for Vargas since he pitched with Jered Weaver during their college days at Long Beach State. He went 14-11 with a 3.85 earned-run average in 33 starts last season, striking out 141 and walking 55 in 217 1/3 innings. Over the past three seasons Vargas has had a minimum of 30 starts and pitched a minimum of 190 plus innings.
This was a fit for both teams since both players are in their final years of arbitration. Morales is a free agent after this coming season and Vargas can potentially leave but he provides depth to the Angels rotation.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles based sports writer
Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- ALDS 2014: What went wrong in the Angels’ 0-3 debacle? - October 12, 2014
- Angels top-3 threats to derailing World Series aspirations - October 5, 2014
- Angels postseason: 5 keys for the Halos to win the ALDS - September 29, 2014