- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
Angels trade Kendrys Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas
- Updated: December 20, 2012
The Angels traded Kendrys Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas. The signing of Josh Hamilton last week by the Angels made Kendrys Morales expendable. Morales had a productive 2012 season for the Angels by hitting .273 with 22 home runs and 73 runs batted in. He should continue that kind of productivity for the Mariners and could possibly have better numbers this coming season.
Jason Vargas will be a welcome addition to the Angels starting rotation. It is sort of a homecoming for Vargas since he pitched with Jered Weaver during their college days at Long Beach State. He went 14-11 with a 3.85 earned-run average in 33 starts last season, striking out 141 and walking 55 in 217 1/3 innings. Over the past three seasons Vargas has had a minimum of 30 starts and pitched a minimum of 190 plus innings.
This was a fit for both teams since both players are in their final years of arbitration. Morales is a free agent after this coming season and Vargas can potentially leave but he provides depth to the Angels rotation.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles based sports writer
Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- ALDS 2014: What went wrong in the Angels’ 0-3 debacle? - October 12, 2014
- Angels top-3 threats to derailing World Series aspirations - October 5, 2014
- Angels postseason: 5 keys for the Halos to win the ALDS - September 29, 2014