- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
Angels trade Kendrys Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas
- Updated: December 20, 2012
The Angels traded Kendrys Morales to the Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas. The signing of Josh Hamilton last week by the Angels made Kendrys Morales expendable. Morales had a productive 2012 season for the Angels by hitting .273 with 22 home runs and 73 runs batted in. He should continue that kind of productivity for the Mariners and could possibly have better numbers this coming season.
Jason Vargas will be a welcome addition to the Angels starting rotation. It is sort of a homecoming for Vargas since he pitched with Jered Weaver during their college days at Long Beach State. He went 14-11 with a 3.85 earned-run average in 33 starts last season, striking out 141 and walking 55 in 217 1/3 innings. Over the past three seasons Vargas has had a minimum of 30 starts and pitched a minimum of 190 plus innings.
This was a fit for both teams since both players are in their final years of arbitration. Morales is a free agent after this coming season and Vargas can potentially leave but he provides depth to the Angels rotation.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles based sports writer
Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- Josh Hamilton injury: 3 ways the Angels can overcome the loss of star OF - April 16, 2014
- Los Angeles Angels: 5 most troubling aspects of 2014 season - April 9, 2014
- Los Angeles Angels: 5 keys to Mike Scioscia’s job security in 2014 - April 5, 2014