- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Oregon and Kansas State lose, Notre Dame to become new No. 1
- Updated: November 17, 2012
For the first time since 2007, both the top two ranked teams in the BCS standings lost in the same day, as Kansas State was embarrassed by unranked Baylor by a score of 52-24 and Oregon lost 17-14 in overtime to No. 13 Stanford. With these late-day losses on Saturday night, Notre Dame, currently ranked third in the nation, will move into the top spot in the BCS standings with Alabama and its one-loss record as the second-ranked team.
For the Cardinal, this is a huge win that could potentially lead them to the Rose Bowl for postseason play. For the Ducks, this all but crushes their hopes at a BCS Championship Game invitation that might have featured a non-SEC opponent. While they still have a game against Oregon State next week and a potential Pac-12 Championship Game against UCLA, they would need losses by Notre Dame and/or Alabama to find themselves in the BCS Championship Game picture.
Oregon’s loss also signals the Pac-12’s unlikely representation in college football’s biggest game of the year. Once Alabama lost last week, Oregon looked on pace to reach the BCS Championship Game for the first time since the 2010 season against Auburn. Instead, the Ducks, a three-score favorite to Stanford, lost at home and will now probably miss out on representing the Pac-12 in Miami for the national title.
Austin Chang is a lifelong San Francisco Bay Area native and follower of all Bay Area sports teams. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013