- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
2012 World Series: Giants Up 3-0 Behind Ryan Vogelsong, Relief Pitching Gem
- Updated: October 27, 2012
The San Francisco Giants have the Detroit Tigers reeling following a solid pitching performance by Ryan Vogelsong as San Francisco prevailed in Game 3 of the 2012 World Series, 2-0 at Comerica Park on Saturday night.
The right hander pitched 5 2/3 innings, allowed five hits, walked four and struck out three in the winning effort. Tim Lincecum got the hold for the Giants, striking out three in 2 1/3 innings. Sergio Romo collected the save in a perfect ninth inning.
San Francisco would do all of their damage in the top of the second inning. Left fielder Gregor Blanco opened up the scoring with a one-out, RBI triple to center field. Two batters later, shortstop Brandon Crawford hit a line drive single to center that would score Blanco and give the Giants a 2-0 lead that they wouldn’t relinquish.
Third baseman and resident Panda Pablo Sandoval continued his outstanding run, going 2-for-4 with a double, bumping his series average to an astronomical .636.
Detroit managed just five hits on the evening, all of which came off the starter Vogelsong. They were led by second baseman Omar Infante, who collected two hits , going 2-for-4 in the contest.
The momentum is now all San Francisco’s, and with just one more game, they’ll secure their second World Series title in three years.
Follow Sports Out West on Twitter @SportsWestCoast
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014