- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
2012 World Series: Giants Up 3-0 Behind Ryan Vogelsong, Relief Pitching Gem
- Updated: October 27, 2012
The San Francisco Giants have the Detroit Tigers reeling following a solid pitching performance by Ryan Vogelsong as San Francisco prevailed in Game 3 of the 2012 World Series, 2-0 at Comerica Park on Saturday night.
The right hander pitched 5 2/3 innings, allowed five hits, walked four and struck out three in the winning effort. Tim Lincecum got the hold for the Giants, striking out three in 2 1/3 innings. Sergio Romo collected the save in a perfect ninth inning.
San Francisco would do all of their damage in the top of the second inning. Left fielder Gregor Blanco opened up the scoring with a one-out, RBI triple to center field. Two batters later, shortstop Brandon Crawford hit a line drive single to center that would score Blanco and give the Giants a 2-0 lead that they wouldn’t relinquish.
Third baseman and resident Panda Pablo Sandoval continued his outstanding run, going 2-for-4 with a double, bumping his series average to an astronomical .636.
Detroit managed just five hits on the evening, all of which came off the starter Vogelsong. They were led by second baseman Omar Infante, who collected two hits , going 2-for-4 in the contest.
The momentum is now all San Francisco’s, and with just one more game, they’ll secure their second World Series title in three years.
Follow Sports Out West on Twitter @SportsWestCoast
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014