- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
San Jose Sharks’ Captain Joe Thornton Has Faith in Team, NHL Season
- Updated: August 28, 2012
The San Jose Sharks had an embarrassing exit from the playoffs in 2012, but team captain Joe Thornton doesn’t believe the team is any worse for the wear after a disappointing season that preceded the five-game dismantling in the first round.
Thornton told CSNBayArea.com on Monday, “They were just a better team. Flat out, they were just a better team than us last year.”
The Sharks went into the playoff series as a threat to go deep into the postseason and make a run at the Stanley Cup, but they were shocked by a hungrier, more aggressive team.
With a potential lockout looming over the prospects of the next NHL season, Thornton is focused on moving the team forward and is not dwelling on the past as he is back in San Jose preparing for the upcoming season that in all likelihood could be put on hold.
Regardless of that fact, the 33-year-old understands what it’s going to take to move the team forward.
“When we’re aggressive, we’re tough to beat.”
The Sharks looked out of sorts against St. Louis, and were outplayed in nearly every facet of the game and took advantage of power plays against a weak penalty killing effort. A new, more focused approach is likely to be the main area of development when the team finally does reconvene for the 2012-2013 season.
Fans can rest assured that Thornton will be ready when that time comes.
Michael C. Jones is the Editor of Sports Out West. For more insight, you can follow him on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014